Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Little Imperfections

The other day I was listening to the radio on the way to school and they were talking about how in London it's a new fad to get freckles because it's seen as beautiful. The radio host went on to say how she thought that was a stupid idea because freckles are "ugly" and "an imperfection" and "a sign of sun damage" so "why would anyone want freckles at all?"

That really hurt. I have a ton of freckles all over my face and didn't think of them as ugly at all. Even though the radio host wasn't directly insulting me personally I felt like she was. I'm self-conscious and the slightest remarks have a huge impact on me.

Unfortunately I let her nasty opinions get to me and I started to feel really bad about myself. That's when all my imperfections started to become prominent to me.  

There is also a London mascara commercial where the model has a gap between her front teeth and there are people making fun of her all over the place. On social media sites there are pictures of her in the commercial and then someone pretending to hit their front teeth with a screwdriver and a hammer. People joke and say that's how you get "the London look".  I also have a natural gap between my front teeth and I'm extremely self-conscious about it.  

I listened to Natasha Beddingfield's song "Freckles" and started to feel better. She is spot on when she mentions how when you look in the mirror you instantly hate what you see because of all the influences from the media about beauty. Now that I think about it, all my imperfections truly are traits that make up who I am as a person and what makes me unique. I spent so much time hating all my freckles but I decided to embrace them and love them instead because they're a part of me. 

This isn't my own personal video, but it's perfect to show the song I'm referring to.

(I did some research about the freckle fad in London and it turns out that it's really just about getting one on their face because in the 18th century it women were viewed as "irresistible" if they had a mark near their eye, above the lip, or high on the cheekbone (Giles). It wasn't about  having a whole face covered in them. The radio station should get their facts straight before sharing them and then going on to insult everyone who has freckles.)

No comments:

Post a Comment