Saturday, May 25, 2013

An Interesting Concept

In my Child Development class I'm learning about the importance of play for a young child. The teacher gave the class a poem to read about play and it really interested me. Here is just a small part of it (because it's quite long) that will be enough to get the point across.  

Just Playing
by: Anita Wadley
Gateways to Learning
Edmond, Oklahoma.

When I'm building in the block room, please don't say I'm "Just Playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play about balances and shapes.
Who knows, I may be an architect someday.

When I'm getting all dressed up;setting the table, caring for the babies,
Don't get the idea that I'm "Just Playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play;
I may be a mother or a father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint, or standing at the easel,
Or molding and shaping clay; please don't let me hear you say, "He is just playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play;I'm expressing myself and being creative,
I may be an artist or inventor someday.

When you see me sitting in a chair, reading to an imaginary audience,
Please don't laugh and think I'm "Just Playing".
For, you see, I'm learning as I play;
I may be a teacher someday.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I really think about this concept it makes perfect sense to me. As children play they aren't just "playing" they"re learning and expressing themselves. It will, believe it or not, have an impact on their lives when they are older. When I was younger I would play with figurines, dolls, and blocks all the time. It wasn't just useless banter with the toys either. There was always a common theme to what I'd play and a problem that needed to be solved. I'd spend hours in my room with my toys building towns with blocks that spread out all over my room with dangerous mountains and forests on my bed or under my dresser. On nice days I'd be outside going on adventures with a backpack full of items ready for an exploration. I had a vivid imagination as a kid. Sometimes I'd even take whatever I was playing and turn it into a story and write it down the best I could.

I find this poem interesting because it's true. All my imaginative play as a child is translated into the imagination I have now to create stories and write all the time. A child is never "just playing" they are discovering interests that will stay with them as they grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment