Thursday, October 2, 2014

My First College Essay

My first college essay was one that I was afraid to hand in. I put a lot of effort into making it perfect. It's always frightening to hand in an essay to a new teacher without knowing how they grade, and at a college level I wasn't sure what to expect. 

My professor was handing back all the essays, but she didn't call my name. She still had one left and she took me aside at the end of class. I was terrified. I knew I had probably screwed it up, or it was the worst possible essay in the world or I missed the whole point of the assignment. What she said wasn't the case at all.

She told me my essay  was amazing and didn't need to be revised because my writing was concise and clear, and all the formatting was perfect. She told me it was a great paper and that she was glad I was an elementary education major because they needed more people who knew how to write. 

I was shocked. (In a good way!) I couldn't get rid of that smile on my face as I walked back to my dorm. This was something new for me. All last year the highest I would get on an essay was a B. And it was always a low B on the verge of a C. I worked so darn hard last year to improve my essays. I'd ask the teacher for help, I'd get other people to review it and give me tips, I'd spend so much time trying to write an "A" worthy paper but I never succeeded. I got the impression that I was a terrible writer and my self confidence last year waned. 

I don't feel stupid or worthless here. That is one big difference between my high school and the amazing college I attend now. Professors here actually want to help students succeed in life, not tell them to figure everything out on their own and fail. 

Now my professor told me to keep up the good work, but she helps me improve even more on my writing because there's always something you can improve on. So now I feel good about myself because I'm being told I'm doing something right for a change instead of being told I fail at everything. 

College is turning out to be a wonderful experience for me so far!  






No comments:

Post a Comment