Wednesday, January 15, 2014

One Less Obstacle

Today my Introduction to Speech teacher told us to all link arms in a circle. Then she told us we were all connected and would be going through the very last speech of the course together, as one. It was powerful because we all went into the class not really knowing each other, and by the end we've become a big family who supports each other and doesn't judge, and realizes that we are all human so we make mistakes. We had created a comforting environment.

I can't believe I'm actually going to miss class, when in the very beginning I wanted to drop it so I wouldn't have to go through with the torture of getting up in front of the class to talk for an extended period of time. 

It's amazing how much I have changed since that very first class. I completely freaked out when I had that first speech where I had to compare myself to an inanimate object. And that was only for two minutes! I pretty much read off of my note cards and barely made any eye contact with the class. I also talked really really fast because I was so nervous. After giving that speech I dreaded the rest of the course. 

Then here it is, roughly five months later and I'm getting up ON STAGE to give an inspirational speech for eleven minutes. This time I wasn't crippled by nerves. I was actually excited to get up there and talk! 

I'm honestly proud of myself for sticking it out and not dropping the class when there was a chance to. I had enough courage to get over my fears of public speaking. If I can conquer a fear that had consumed a large part of my life for so long, then I can pretty much do anything I put my mind to.

I know it may not seem all that important, but to me it makes a huge impact because there is one less obstacle on the path on this journey of mine.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment