Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

First day of summer vacation and...it's cloudy. I was totally expecting sunny, cloudless skies, but I guess that's not happening today. No worries. I have unread books sitting on my shelf so I'll be content enough. One book that I finished earlier today was The DUFF by Kody Keplinger. It wasn't exactly how I thought it would be based on the inside cover description, but it was still really interesting.



It made me think about our society (well, the part about being in highschool) and if we automatically think about these kinds of things? On page 256 there's a part that stood out. "...it was insulting and hurtful, and it was one of those titles that just fed off of an inner fear every girl must have from time to time. Slut, bitch, prude, tease, ditz. They were all the same. Every girl felt like one of these sexist labels described her at some point. So, maybe, every girl felt like the Duff, too?" 
I witness so much gossip at school everyday it's not even funny. There is always someone who uses one of those words when they talk about a girl. It's pretty degrading considering they don't know everything that goes on in that girl's life. And I agree that part of the reason why some people feel the need to degrade others and make them feel bad is because they themselves have insecurities.

That's how the book started. Wes, a player who flirts with every single girl that talks to him, started to talk to the main character, Biana, by telling her she was the Duff. That stands for "Designated Ugly Fat Friend" (as obviously written out on the cover up there) Basically he said her friends dragged her along so that it would make them look way better in comparison to her. It turns out that Wes has insecurites of his own which eventually made him put down Bianca.

Overall it was interesting because of all the other things that accompanied the insecurites of the characters. I put another hidden note in this book so hopefully once I return it to the library someone will find it and do as the note says. I'd like to start a book discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment